As a Biomedical Scientist, you will assist the Senior Biomedical Scientist and liaise with Section Head with the day to day and strategic management of the Histopathology Department. In this role, you will be required to use your skills, theory of Histology and knowledge to provide a high quality and effective Histopathology laboratory service.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Practice as an HCPC registered Biomedical Scientist and maintain registration.
- To comply with the code of practice of the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and HCPC and work consistently to ISO 15189 (2012) and UKAS accreditation.
- Carryout unsupervised routine and more complex investigations and analysis of tissue using specialised laboratory equipment.
- Be responsible for delegated tasks involved in the day-to-day organisation and delivery of a clinical pathology service with high standards of patient care.
- Assist with the teaching of new staff where appropriate.
- To cooperate with the supervisory staff and Pathologists in the introduction and development of new and improved techniques.
- To maintain good work relationships with all members of staff, and to promote effective teamwork.
- The use of skills, theory of Histology, and knowledge to provide a high quality and effective Histopathology laboratory service.
- Participation in rotation through all areas of the department
- Perform timely and accurate processing of samples and perform laboratory techniques in accordance with departmental approved SOPs, including but not limited to the following: Biopsy transfer (excludes samples requiring dissection) Embedding Microtomy Special staining techniques QC of slides at send out Performing Frozen section techniques.
Skills & Experience
- MSc desirable
- HCPC Registered
- Member of the Institute of Biomedical Sciences
- Fellow of the Institute of Biomedical Sciences is desirable
- 18 months UK experience as a BMS
If you are interested in any of the above roles please contact Martine Cohen
Should you know anyone who may interested in this, or any of our other vacancies, we offer a referral scheme. Please click on Referrals at the top of this page for more information.