This role will support the Lead nurses in ensuring a safe, efficient and timely patient journey throughout the endoscopy pathway. This involves deputising in the absence of the Lead nurse and aiding with the development of the service.
The purpose of this role is to assess the patient’s suitability for community provision, aid in the triage of referrals and be the first point of contact for all patients coming through the Endoscopy service.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide pre-assessment care, assessing the needs of the patient, planning, implementing and evaluating pathways of care to facilitate safe endoscopy journey for the patient.
- Keep up to date with relevant clinical guidelines ensuring they are followed correctly e.g. anticoagulation, diabetes.
- Liaise with relevant MDT members to facilitate assessment and investigations.
- Provide healthcare advice, educating patients/carers/relatives on the condition, medication and self-care, answering and questions they may have.
- Record and maintain accurate patient medical records and histories on the relevant IT systems.
- Resolve patient issues and needs and create customised care plans through working collaboratively with other departments.
- Participate in audit processes for monitoring nursing quality.
- Assist with establishing and monitoring care pathways, making or recommending necessary adjustments.
- Work independently and autonomously as well as contributing to the wider team
- Ensure excellent verbal and written communication skills are upheld.
- Ensure JAG guidelines are upheld and adhered to within pre assessment service.
- Triage of referrals into service ensuring they meet contract specifications.
- Supervision, teaching/mentoring of nursing assistants, arrangement of training and mandatory study days.
- Maintain a Personal Professional Portfolio in accordance with the requirements of all professional bodies.
- Liaise with other primary care and secondary care colleagues to ensure effective communication and share best practice, ensuring the clinical team operates in accordance with current guidelines, including NICE and NHSE.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Registered with either NMC or HCPC
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Basic IT skills and ability to work with online programmes such as SystmOne.
- Good time/resource management skills
- To be educated to degree level.
- Previous experience in pre-assessment.
- Previous Endoscopy experience.
- Depth of understanding regarding JAG.
If you are interested in the above role, please contact Martine Cohen
Should you know anyone who may interested in this, or any of our other vacancies, we offer a referral scheme. Please click on Referrals at the top of this page for more information.